Health & Safety Officer
Reporting to: Senior HSE Manager, DCC Oil Ireland
Scope of Role: DCC Oil Ireland
Location: Portlaoise/ Flexible – there will be a requirement to travel to remote/ operational depots and facilities throughout Ireland in fulfilment of the role.
About DCC Oil Ireland
DCC Oil Ireland is a wholly own subsidiary of DCC plc, and is part of the Retail & Oil Division of the Group. We are one of the country’s leading home heating oil, commercial fuel, marine fuel and agricultural diesel suppliers through the Emo Oil and Campus Oil brands, in addition to other business divisions including our retail Certa forecourt brand, Fuelcard services and our Lubricants Division.
Overview of the Role
We have an exciting opportunity to join the Health Safety & Environmental (HSE) team at DCC Oil Ireland. The successful candidate will play a key role in the development of the health and safety systems that are integral to the everyday operations at DCC Oil Ireland. As a member of the team, you will be required to implement and drive continuous improvement with respect to HSE policies and procedures.
The role is ideal for a health and safety candidate looking to gain experience in a growing business and a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Duties & Responsibilities
• Working with the Senior HSE Manager in the overall development and maintenance of the HSE management system requirements. In addition, supporting and assisting teams throughout the business to ensure compliance with the core management system requirements, as necessary.
• Support the organisation in meeting its legal requirements within the flammable and dangerous substances operating environment.
• Assist in the completion of risk assessments for activities; this will include identifying where risk assessments are required to be carried out, improving risk control measures and monitoring the effectiveness of controls.
• Provide support in the investigation of incidents and accidents, the identification of appropriate corrective and preventative actions and ensuring effective learning from the event has been actioned and implemented.
• Assisting the HSE team in the creation of appropriate operating procedures and equivalent, to ensure that operational controls are appropriate and effective.
• Developing relationships with key stakeholders internally and externally to ensure that health and safety matters are communicated and prioritised.
• Assist in the delivery of key safety operational control measures e.g., controlling of contractors, permit to work, risk assessment of non-routine activities etc.
• Communicating with team members and external parties on core HSE requirements, listening and engaging with teams and assisting in the identification of appropriate solutions.
• Providing support across the business in the delivery and sourcing of HSE-related training.
• Identifying innovative and creative approaches to working where practical and of benefit to the business, this will include the development of HSE related technological applications.
• Promotion of a safety culture through delivery of safety campaigns, initiatives and communications that will be beneficial to the business and its employees.
Key Skills & Experience Required
• Appropriate third level qualification in Health and Safety.
• Working knowledge of Health, Safety and Environmental management systems would be a distinct advantage.
• High level of IT literacy and competence.
• Good reporting skills and data analysis competency with attention to detail is required.
• Excellent communicator with an ability to work with different stakeholders.
• Full & clean driving licence.
• Requirement and flexibility to travel nationwide.
• Practical health and safety experience is a distinct advantage.
• Ability to adapt and be agile.
• Interested applicants should refer applications and enquiries, in confidence, to firstname.lastname@example.org
DCC Oil Ireland is an equal opportunities employer